Monday, January 24, 2011

Look Better Naked :: Week One - Monday

This blog will be temporarily interrupted to talk about the next six weeks of my Les Mills 'Look Better Naked' fitness regime.

At the early hour of 7am on Saturday I attended the introductory seminar with an incredibly optimistic trainer.  I had all manner of measurements and vital statistics taken and recorded, and we then talked about my goals for the programme. I have to admit I downplayed the weightloss factor sighting 'resistance training' and 'building up my stamina' as my main goals.  I wasn't about to admit that I was suffering from what those in the design industry call 'the 5kg curse' - a slow but steady weight gain that starts promptly upon arrival at an agency when you just can't believe your good luck that biscuits, crackers, cheese, nibbles, even breakfast cereal are freely available to you, and you take full advantage.  Before you know it your black skinny jeans are delegated to the back of your wardobe and you're wearing floating dresses from Moochi.

She didn't laugh or roll her eyes at my objectives, which I thought was positive and told me my goals could be achieved (yesssssss) if I stuck to the nutritional plan and worked out six times a week (yes, 6 times a week!!!).  My goals were duly noted in my little Look Better Naked bible with a space to record the results after the six weeks was up.  I would check these figures repeatedly during the 90 minute session, committing them to memory and chanting them inside my head like some newly discovered mantra.

It's Day Numero Uno today so I'm furiously planning meals, writing shopping lists, finding vessels to house the myriad of snacks I must eat.  It's time consuming but kind of fun - I'm filled with purpose!

I've carefully filled out my eating diary and have managed to remain within the confines of the regime - 2 portions of fruit, 5 portions of vegetables (actually this was difficult), 4 portions of carbs (I know - carbs on a weight loss programme????), 5 portions of protein and 2 of healthy fats.  And... 2 litres of water which has seen me spend a lot of time in the loo today!

I've opted not to exercise today in order to save my strength for tomorrow.  I don't know what to expect!

I've dutifully assembled my breakfast, snacks and lunch for tomorrow and now must depart to plan my wardrobe so I can carefully pack it into my gym bag and not forget anything vital likes shoes or knickers!  And, I must be in bed within the next 30 minutes in order to get enough sleep for my 5am wakeup call tomorrow.

Tomorrow at 6am is our first 'session' with the instructor and I'm a little scared.  There are five other girls in the programme and I've never been very good at group activities.  The only group sport I attempted at school was netball but I never made is past the B team.  Badminton (singles of course) and gymnastics were more my thing.  Well, better go - so much to do, so much to organise.  Hopefully I'll have the strength to write some more tomorrow after my first workout!

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo true about the 5kg curse. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete